Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:52:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doceng@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, gabor@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Hiroki Sato wrote:

> Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote
>  in <50392481.1070708@FreeBSD.org>:
>
> ga> Em 25-08-2012 19:58, Hiroki Sato escreveu:
> ga> > Ah, what I wanted to point out is that not only in the headers the
> ga> > ids are converted to lower case in the new framework.  I also
> ga> > think we can ignore the impact for the headers.
> ga> >
> ga> > As you know, the Jade program uses the upper case because it
> ga> > supports SGML general name normalization for the ids and NAMECASE
> ga> > GENERAL is YES in SGML declaration for HTML.  The xsltproc program
> ga> > does not always do so because NAMECASE GENERAL is always NO in
> ga> > XML.
> ga>
> ga> Ok, now I see you are referring to docs not www. I was talking about
> ga> www because I only did manual conversion there. A side effect of
> ga> changing the SGML declaration used by Jade to enforce XML syntax is
> ga> that NAMECASE GENERAL is NO as you said. For now, I don't know what to
> ga> do with that. If we start using XSLT, we can customize the DocBook XSL
> ga> stlyesheets to do such a normalization. I think it shouldn't be
> ga> difficult but I'll have to see how the corresponding parts are written
> ga> in DocBook XSL. Do you have any suggestions how to handle this for the
> ga> interim period?
>
> If we continue to use the upper-case ids, converting all of id attr
> and xref's linkend attr to upper-case in the source file, not in the
> style sheet, is needed.  Case normalization of ids by XSLT is wrong
> because relationship between xref's linkend and id must be correct in
> the XML source files.
>
> I am still wondering if we should stick to the upper-case ids, but
> considering consistency and compatibility, using upper-case is the
> safest.  Our possible options in my mind are:
>
> 1. Convert ids to upper-case and use them.  No compatibility problem.
>
> 2. Use lower-case ids.  Links from pages outside of www.FreeBSD.org
>    may be broken.

Is it practical to generate small static "This link has changed" pages
for legacy uppercase links?

Generating a list of "RedirectMatch permanent" lines for manual addition
to the webserver config seems more elegant.  After the switch was made
to all lowercase, the list of obsolete uppercase links would not grow.