Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:47:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jon Inouye <jinouye@cse.ogi.edu>
To:        "Eric A. Griff" <eagriff@global2000.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cellular Modems, what is best

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Eric A. Griff wrote:

> 	I will be purchasing a cellular modem in the near future, and was
> wondering what are the best. (as far as reliability, speed, and configurability
> in that order).
> 	I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.
> 					Eric

Data Communications did performed an evaluation last year.
You can see their results via the Web. Their pick was the
Xircom card (not support by FreeBSD).

http://www.data.com/Lab_Tests/Cellular_Modems_Hurry_Up.html

I'm using an APEX 28.8 data/fax/celluar card with a Nokia 2160 phone.
I thought about the Megahertz and Motorola PC cards but at the time
(Sept. 1996) they didn't have cables for the 2160. So I really bought the
modem that worked with the phone. Voice is more important than data
for me. I'm usually able to connect within three tries and achieve
throughputs around 9600 baud using the cellular modem pool. I rarely
get disconnected for the majority of my sessions (which last around
10 minutes). My APEX card has no circuit protection mechanisms for
digital phones so I have to be careful to avoid ISDN RJ-11 jacks.

--
Jon Inouye                           EMAIL: jinouye@cse.ogi.edu
Distributed Systems Research Group   WWW  : http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~jinouye/