Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:30 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why are you NOT using FreeBSD --> an example and a solution

Hi,

On 13 June 2012 17:21:30 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> > On 13 June 2012 0:20:16 Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 09:53:04AM +0700, Erich wrote:

> I strongly recommend that you install ports-mgmt/portmaster (if you

I use portupgrade for upgrades. It should lead to the same result.

> have not done so) and read the man page (YES! You really need to read
> it all!) and note the example for re-installing all ports. It will
> assure that all ports are cleanly re-installed.
>
> I do admit that I don't delete /usr/local/*, but I do get rid of most
> everything in it like bin, lib, include (especially important),
> libexec, libdata, info, modules, man, and so on. (Almost abbreviated
> "and so on" to "etc which would have triggered much hilarity and some
> keyboard smashing!) I never install anything of my own in /usr/local,
> but use /usr/opt for that.

I never did this. It is a good idea as it really cleans the system and you have your own stuff outside the third-party stuff.

> If you do it as suggested, you should end up with a very clean, updated system.

I did not want to upgrade it. I just wanted a fast solution to have FreeBSD running and than start from scratch. This starting from real scratch did not work.

It seems that your solution would also solved the problem. I never thought of this.

Erich