Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:04:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced Format Drive ?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I think that I have only two final questions:
>
> 1)  I can't remember now if the ``guided'' partitioning approach that
> is offered to folks who are installing FreeBSD 9.x itself offers a
> "GPT" option or not.  Does it?  (If not, and if MBR is really now
> considered antiquated, then I would think that the install process
> really should offer a GPT option, if it isn't doing so already.)

GPT is the default for bsdinstall.

> 2)  Not knowing any better, on this fresh install that I'm doing now
> (of 9.1-RC3) when it got down to the point where it asked me how I wanted
> to partition, I selected the "exit to shell" option.  Once I got a
> shell prompt, I proceeded to do bascially everything that's suggested
> in the "The New Standard Method" section of Warren's nice tutorial.
> My assumption was that I could do this, get all of my shiny new GPT
> partitions just the way I wanted them, and just simply exit the shell...
> an action which, I had hoped, would return me to the install process
> at a point where I would then be asked to assign mount points to each
> of my newly created GPT partitions, and then, hopefully, the rest of the
> install process would proceed in an entirely customary way.

It would, but you have to mount the new filesystems in a certain spot.
bsdinstall shows a prompt about that.

> And how exactly do mount points get associated with partitions (in particular
> GPT partitions) anyway?  Are these just another partition attribute?  The
> gpart(8) man page is also utterly silent on the subject of mount points,
> even though they are quite obviously a rather critical component of what
> it takes to make a partition useful on/to FreeBSD.

GPT partitions appear in /dev as the drive name followed by "p" and the
partition number, similar to the old slice/partition notation.  So
instead of /dev/ada0s1a, it will typically be /dev/ada0p2.  These are
entered in /etc/fstab as normal.

My guide uses GPT labels, which are superior in many ways to fixed
device names, but also not really covered by that article.

> P.S.  Assigning mount points appears to be one thing that the new swiss-
> army-knife of gpart _cannot_ do.  Given that, I have to ask...
> What if any command line tool is available to associate partitions with
> mount points?

/etc/fstab, same as normal.