Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 1998 13:01:50 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation: Boot 2.2.7 from SONY CDU33A?

Tried to install 2.2.7 from the Walnut Creek CD over a WINNiT (sic) 4.0
installation on a P90.

Having made a boot floppy via my Win 95/Linux machine and the makeflp
script, I couldn't get the boot floppy to spot the CD-ROM drive. I know
could have used the Linux box to export the CD-ROM via NFS for a network
install, or (horror!) installed over the 'Net (my poor 'phone bill!),
but I'm stubborn.

I tried all the different CD-ROM options (including the SONY) from the
boot floppy's full screen mode install menus without success.

So, having browsed the on-line handbook today, at work, I notice the
CDU33A is supported in the GENERIC kernel, so I suppose my questions
are:

 o is the kernel on the boot floppy a GENERIC kernel?
 o does this kernel support the CDU33A?
 o should I boot with the -c option from the floppy?
 o Should I boot NT again, and get the I/O port info' from the Device
Manager in Control Panel just in case?

It'd be nice to go home and get my own back on my friend who's staying
with me at the moment, since he derived great pleasure from seeing me
struggle last night.

TIA,
Adam.