Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:32:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Tony Balazs <tony@rothstein.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie installation problems (4.0-RELEASE)

Tony Balazs wrote:

> I am having some difficulty installing a near-minimal FreeBSD on a test  PC at work and would greatly appreciate some help. This is my first  posting here.
>
> The PC in question is a 166MHz Pentium with 64MB RAM and a single 6GB  HDD. I am trying an installation from a 2GB (too big?) DOS partition  (installation files in C:\FreeBSD\bin C:\FreeBSD\doc etc) and have  created one 2GB FreeBSD partition and one 2GB Linux partition for  possible future use.

Just nice, I'm using something like this at home, too. Anyhow, which version of FreeBSD do you try to install?

>  /, /var/, /usr/ and swap seems to be created OK automatically (but see  below). When I do the installation the following problems occur:
>
> 1. From what I can see on the screen, all the installation goes into /  by default, instead of the bulk going into /usr/.

after the installation is complete, switch to VTY3 (hit Alt-F4), then type df. (probably unixese for "Disk Full?") The display will show how your FreeBSD slice has been used, it would look similiar to this:

> 2. When I subsequently boot into FreeBSD on the HDD partition, I an  unable to access the installation program and so if I want to try  putting more files is have to use the 2 boot floppies again.

type /stand/sysinstall, and you're up and running again.

> 3. Possibly as a result of 2. when I go back into the labeller, only  swap is listed; the other FreeBSD partitions are unmounted (maybe that's  right, I don't know).

It is: You may mount the slices for repair at other positions. No good, isn't it? Look at #2, you'll be better off.

> 4. If, having rebooted using the floppies I try to add more files to the  installation, I get a disk full error, presumably because everything is  being added to / and not to /usr/. I have tried this over and over, to no avail.

Ooops. Did you possible name the /usr slice "usr/" (including the slash char)? I recommand to use the automatic partitioning scheme, if you're new to partitioning unix disks...

> I fear that after a few  more fdisks to re-start from scratch my DOS partition will be trashed! Perhaps someone can see what's going on.

Probably not. fdisk is your friend -- until you typo in there...

HTH
-Christoph Sold