Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:59:28 -0400
From:      "Bruce Pennypacker" <BruceP@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dual processor question

Hi all,

We have an application that is very memory & cpu intensive, and can take
upwards of 18 hours to run.  The application essentially loads 4.5 million
records of data into an array in memory and then does a lot of pattern
matching through the data.  It's currently running on a Pentium II 400MHz
machine with 256MB RAM that's running FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE .  We're
considering upgrading the machine for a number of reasons and one of the
things we're trying to determine if going with a dual processor machine
would help out much in terms of cutting down the time it takes this
application to run.  Not knowing much about the details of multi-processor
machines I have no idea what kind of benefit simply adding another processor
would provide.

Would simply upgrading to a dual processor system & FreeBSD 3.x help improve
the performance of this application, or would it take a fairly hefty rewrite
of the application to make the second CPU useful?  I have visions of
rewriting this thing to fork subprocesses & share memory, etc.  Would all
that be necessary?

Thanks,

-Bruce