Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:35:44 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD Port Mgr <portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Phoenix, why isn't it showing up in my portslist?

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:21:42PM +0200, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Why is it when i try to run "portinstall phoenix" or do a "make search
>key=phoenix" in /usr/ports I get nada (neither the native nor the
>linux-version), even though pheonix available in /usr/ports/www/phoenix?

Make search is pretty simple-minded. It searches the INDEX file. So if
you haven't run 'portsdb -U' you won't see it.

This raises an interesting point... the portupgrade tools use an env var
to hold the patch to the INDEX file. So if you use an alternative index
file, make search is borked.

Question is, does ports itself need to track features of the portupgrade
package? If it does, it's kind of a backwards dependency. If it doesn't,
then either you can't use certain features of that package or else parts
of ports wont work as expected.

Cc'd to portmgr for opinion on this.
--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.