Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 10:53:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with merging in local changes with CVS etc...

> > > Yep, but this wasn't the problem of the guy asking.  Your set of
> > > problems is quite different from his.
> >
> > He wanted to commit changes to his local tree, and have them not
> > stomped on CVSup/CTM update.
>
> No, he actually didn't.  Turn off your read flag, and re-read his
> mail, then you'll notice it.
>
> All he wanted was to make sure that his local ppa driver won't be
> killed by the next cvs update.  That's a standard CVS feature.

Well, here's his original mail:

| I would like to make a local change to the CVS repository (only).  The
| change is in the src/sys directory, to add the ppa drivers for my
| zip drive.
|
| I know I will need to maintain a copy of the full CVS repository, but
| how do I ensure that the change will remain in effect after further
| changes (pulled in with CVSup)?

Sure looks like he said he wanted to make a local changes to his copy
of the _CVS repository_, *NOT* his copy of the _checked out source
tree_.

Also looks like he wanted to ensure the changes to _his local copy of
the CVS repository_ weren't stomped by CVSup.

Maybe you can explain the quoted material to me so I can better
understand how you are right and I am wrong?

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---