Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2019 12:14:05 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.1-RELEASE schedule update

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 10:20 AM Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 02:12:50PM +0000, Sergey A. Osokin wrote:

> > > What about using the meta-port and keying off of OSVERSION?
> (Personally
> > > I have no real preference either way, nor with any of the solutions you
> > > propose above.)
> >
> > Actually we have one, graphics/drm-kmod, and it depends on the following
> one:
> >
> > .elif ${OSVERSION} >= 1200058 && ${OSVERSION} < 1300000
> > RUN_DEPENDS=    ${KMODDIR}/drm.ko:graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
> >
> > So, in case we don't expect an API/ABI changes in 12.x branch we can
> > just rename it to drm-fbsd12-kmod, or create a specific version of
> > the port for 12.1 - drm-fbsd12.1-kmod and update the meta-port as well.
> >

> We should never expect this type of ABI/KBI breakage along a stable
> branch.  (That is our definition of "stable", technically, but sometimes
> there are unexpected breakages that occasionally go undetected.)

The KPIs that drm depends on are quite specific and weird and aren't part
of the set we guarantee (and we can't do what drm needs to do with only the
'safe' ones). It's not much different than virtual box which also has this
issue frequently because it too falls into that category.

> > > Also, since this is repeatable thing for every upcoming release
> > >
> > > Yes, good idea.  Just let us know how you want to proceed, and we can
> > > add a note to the documentation.
> >
> > I mean I believe we should that (create a new port, update the meta-port,
> > etc.) in advance, in the beginning of the first phase of release cycle.
> >

> This seems like a reasonable approach.

How do we get packages from the new port into the release so that users
don't install the 12.0 port by mistake?

Warner