Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 07:48:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> This can happen when the kernel is stuck in an infinite loop
> somewhere, you're still responding to interrupts, just stuck
> somewhere.
>
> FYI:
> ~ % uname -a
> FreeBSD thumper 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Sun Apr  2 16:29:20 PDT 2000     bright@thumper:/home/src/sys/compile/thumper  i386
> ~ % uptime
> 10:58PM  up 7 days,  4:06, 21 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
>
> I've been building world, playing mp3s, using fxtv and xmradio.

Like I said, it doesn't really have anything to do with what you're
doing, it just seems that it has to do with the fact the machine is
running at all...

> My setup is fine, perhaps you can furnish us with a traceback?  These
> kinds of lockups are very easy to fix with a traceback because they
> just mean that most likely the kernel is stuck in an infinite loop
> somewhere.
>
> In otherwords, unplug your palm pilot and attach a console.

I'm going to get my friend to get a traceback and whatever else is
possible.  He has a laptop and "null" serial cable to use, and he
experiences these problems as much as I do; I'll just convince him
to keep running the latest -CURRENT and get the serial console working.