Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:25:29 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel pppd & Shiva LanRover

> From: "Pavlov's Cat" <SimsS@Infi.Net>
> Date: Wed 21 Feb, 1996
> Subject: kernel pppd & Shiva LanRover

> Anyone have any experience getting kernel-mode ppp to work as a client
> connecting to a Shiva LanRover?

Yes.

I've had it working two ways: (1) using a chat script to log in to the
LanRover (you need to have shell access or some such configured for your
LanRover account, and send a couple of carriage returns on connect to
get the prompt; and (2) using CHAP to authenticate (for this, you don't
need "shell" access).

I'm using a fixed IP address, haven't tried a random one.

My chat script when I used method (1) looked like:

    ABORT BUSY ABORT "NO CARRIER" "" "ATZ" \
    OK "ATDT$phone" \
    CONNECT "\r" \
    id: $user \
    assword? \\q$password \
    ialback: "" \
    ">" ppp \
    "starting PPP"

Using method (2), my chat script is simply the part up to "CONNECT" above,
and my /etc/ppp/chap-secrets contains a line like:

    user server password

When my admin was setting up the LanRover end, I noticed that most account
names were full names with spaces (Windoze clients), so this might need some
careful quoting (I just had him use my standard Unix login name).

I can't remember where I got the server name: I think it was either a name
I saw when I logged in manually, or the host part of the LanRover's domain
name - I can check this if you're stuck.

If I've forgotten anything, or you need more help, drop me a line at
work: mark@europe.shiva.com.  If I can't sort you out (I haven't really
had much exposure of these boxes... yet), I knew a few people who should
be able to.  ;-)

> Any help and I owe you a bunch of
> #include <Your-favorite-beverage>

Mine's a virtual whisky, thanks!  (If you're ever in Edinburgh, Scotland:
Shiva Europe HQ and the Scotch Malt Whisky Society HQ are only a few hundred
yards' distant...)

		Mark.