Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:33:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Arjan Knepper <arjan@jak.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-smp <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with accessing ports on multiple Cyclades YeP cards

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Arjan Knepper wrote:

> Bruce Evans wrote:
> >I always configure CY_PCI_FASTINTR and shuffle boards in the PCI slots
> >to make the YeP interrupt non-shared.
> >
> The interups are not shared between the board but shared with  the NIC
> and SCSI interface (both integrated on motherboard)
> For me there not much to shuffle since there are only 3 PCI slots in the
> the machine and all are supossed to have an YeP card.
>
> >  This is easier with only 1 YeP
> >board, but it still required lots of shuffling on a BP6 motherboard.
> >(The BP6 needs an extra irq or two for the second ata controller
> >(HPTsomething), and its BIOS doesn't support adjusting these like it
> >does for the PCI slots, and the YeP irq ended up shared with an HPT
> >irq in most configurations; this just prevented CY_PCI_FASTINTR from
> >helping under FreeBSD, but it caused the boot to hang under Linux.)
> >
> Are you saying that the YeP interups shouldn't be shared at all? Not
> with ANY pci device?

Almost.  Not with any active pci interrupt (it doesn't matter if they
are shared with unused VGA interrupts).  This is just an optimization,
but it may expose different bugs.  If CY_PCI_FASTINTR is configured and
a CY_PCI irq is shared, then the following behaviour is normal:
- if a CY_PCI device using a shared irq is configured before any other
  device using the shared irq, then the CY_PCI device aquires the irq
  exclusively and the other devices fail to attach.
- otherwise, one of the other devices aquires the irq non-exclusively
  (except in the unusual case where it also uses fast interrupts), and
  the CY_PCI device is attached using a non-fast irq.

Let's see your dmesg output.

Bruce