Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        "'John Mills'" <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Getting started with CVS || slightly off topic again

Matthew

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, MET wrote:

> "Did you set up the connection between your [x]inetd and starting a
> server?"
>
>  ... Do you mean uncommenting the line from the /etc/inetd.conf file
> allowing for cvspserver and cvs.
>
> 	cvspserver	stream  tcp     nowait  root	  /usr/bin/cvs
> cvs --allow-root=/usr/local/repository pserver
> 	cvs             	stream  tcp     nowait  root
> /usr/bin/cvs    cvs --allow-root=/usr/local/repository kserver

Basically yes, though I can't check the details. My server is a GNU/Linux
RH7.2 box, so I have:

'/etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver' with:
# default: on
#
service cvspserver
{
#       flags           = REUSE
         socket_type     = stream
         protocol        = tcp
         wait            = no
         user            = root
         server          = /usr/bin/cvs
         server_args     = -f --allow-root=/usr/tga/CVS pserver
         log_on_failure  += USERID
         disable         = no
}

> "Put in your environment setup:
>            export CVSROOT=:pserver:192.168.1.30:/usr/local/repository "

If you can do '$ cvs login' successfully, you have the network link
working and this is just a convenience.

> Please bare[sic] with me, I'm extremely new to this.....where's my
             [...passing up _almost_ irresistable 'cheap shot' ...]
> environmental setup file?

This depends on your shell and whether you want a default for all users,
or just yourself. Since this _is_ basically a _default_, you can supply or
override it whenever you type a 'cvs' command, but setting a default
server is handy.

I put my environmental settings in my '$HOME/.bash_profile' (The '.' is
needed here.) There are other files you could choose. I specify thus:

CVSROOT=:pserver:<hostname_or_ip>:<repository_path>
export CVSROOT

In your setup, I guess you would have:

CVSROOT=:pserver:192.168.1.30:/usr/local/repository

For all users, you could put the same entry in '/etc/profile'

There is no advantage, and possible inconvenience, in putting USERNAME and
PORTNO in this environmental. I leave them out. You do need to form the
login command with your username:

'cvs -d :<server_method>:<user>[:<CVS_passwd>]@<host>:<repository> login'

After you login you can see all settings with
$ env

You can look for some specific content with (for example):

$ env | grep CVS

If you're not using 'bash', check man pages for your preferred shell.

 - John Mills