Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:40:47 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: with the cvs history? trying to help INDEX builds.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:20:05AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Actually I take your point, that it should be possible to distinguish
> between ports that permanently won't work on some architectures by
> design, and ports that temporarily don't work because of mistakes or
> broken dependencies or so forth, and that are expected to be fixed
> sooner rather than later.

A fair amount of effort has gone into trying to distinguish the two
cases.  I know, because I put in a lot of that effort :-)

> Unfortunately those two cases are already pretty confused.

 - many maintainers don't understand the distinction

 - some committers don't understand the distinction

 - some Makefiles predate this technology

> ./audio/amarok-kde4/Makefile:NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_sparc64=	"GCC-related
> build error"
> ./audio/openal/Makefile:NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_ia64=	does not compile
> ./biology/migrate/Makefile:ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON=	Does not compile

All 3 are wrong IMVHO.  We should fix them.

mcl