Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:35:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Sean Shilton <sshilton@basset.eng.ascend.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS client

Sean Shilton writes:

> I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.5-current machine which i am trying to use as a
> NIS client.  I have the domain set correctly and ypcat passwd yeilds all
> the users in the NIS map.  What do i havce to add to the passwd file to
> for the machine to accept NIS logins.

"man 5 passwd" yeilds:

YP/NIS INTERACTION
   Enabling access to NIS passwd data
     The system administrator can configure FreeBSD to use NIS/YP for its
     password information by adding special records to the /etc/master.passwd
     file. These entries should be added with vipw(8) so that the changes can
     be properly merged with the hashed password databases and the /etc/passwd
     file ( /etc/passwd should never be edited manually). Alternatively, the
     administrator can modify /etc/master.passwd in some other way and then
     manually update the password databases with pwd_mkdb(8).

     The simplest way to activate NIS is to add an empty record with only a
     plus sign (`+') in the name field, such as this:

     The `+' will tell the getpwent(3) routines in FreeBSD's standard C li-
     brary to begin using the NIS passwd maps for lookups.

You might want to do a similar thing for /etc/group.