Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:32:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update question.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:36:51 -0400 (EDT), doug@safeport.com wrote:
> I wanted to see if I could get an 8.1 system updated to 9.0 (mostly) with
> freebsd-update. I did this with a source update to RELENG_8_3 and then did the
> standard stuff to get to 9.0
>
> perl and xdm both gave errors that libutil.so.9 was missing. scanning google and
> questions suggested this module was removed. Also in some basic way the ports
> make scripts view the system as an 8.X system as make index gives 'Generating
> INDEX-8 - please wait.."
>
> Can this be repaired? Building from source is out of the question for this
> system.

After a major version update (8.x -> 9.x) you should reinstall
_all_ ports. See "man portmaster" (EXAMPLES section) for suggestions
on how to do this.

If you want to avoid it. you can install the compat8x port on
your system. Unaltered (!) installs from 8.x should continue
running. But as soon as you're introducing new software, trouble
may occur. In that case, a clean install of your applications
should be the better way. (Note that you can do this either by
source or by packages, just as you prefer.)

The described problem with libutil can be avoided when working
with the compat8x port. There are more such ports for older
versions that allow running binaries compiled for those OS
versions ("API/ABI remapping").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany