Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:43:18 -0600
From:      "Jim Shewmaker" <jimshewmaker@calvarychapel.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more than 2 B channels

> Jim Shewmaker writes:
> >    After glancing through RFC-1717, I still am unable to find any
> > information on using Multilink PPP to dynamically combine 2 to 4
> > B channels at once.  It appears that there may not be anything
> > limiting it at the CO, but I would prefer to set up my 3.1-RELEASE
> > machine to have one B channel on each async port.  This way the
> > other use of our ISDN (live audio feeds for radio broadcast) can be
> > dropped individually and at any time without causing problems with
> > normal traffic.  There would always be at least 1 B channel
> > available for Internet use (so that there is 0-3 B channels for audio
> > at any given time).
>
> What are you talking about when you say "one B channel on each
> async port"? Are you talking about using two terminal adapters?
> You can't have two different terminal adapters connected to the
> same ISDN line (unless they have S-interfaces and they're on the
> same S-bus).
>
> If you have two ISDN lines and two terminal adapters, then with
> the observation that terminal adapters look just like modems, all
> you need to do (I think) is set up two-channel multi-link PPP over
> your two async ports.
>
> If this isn't a meaningful answer, then I didn't understand your question :-)
>
> -Archie

Actually, I mean using up to 4 TAs, so that each TA has its own B
channel.  That way our application that may need more than one B
channel at a time for audio will only take what it needs, not a B
channel more.  Also, then I won't have to mess with synchronous
ports to get 128 K on the normal two B channels, since an async
port can go plenty fast to get 64K.  I only read about using 2 at a
time, nothing with more than 2 B channels.

Jim Shewmaker
Network and Systems
CSN International