Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:43:04 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNS=6 changes

At 7:15 PM +0100 3/14/03, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>  > > This patch changes the default standard used for warnings
>  > > from c89 to c99.  It only affects WARNS=6 code (that is, very
>  > > few code).  It also makes it possible to select another
>  > > standard with the WSTD variable if we ever need to.
>  >
>  > I think that *not* hard-coding WSTD is not good, because it
>  > then may mean different things for different settings.
>
>I'm not sure I understand your concerns here.  Could you explain
>what you mean a bit please?

I think he's saying that he does not want the user to have a
separate switch for WSTD.  WARNS=6 would always mean C99, or
would never mean it.

Me, I'd kinda like the idea of a separate switch for which
standard to use, but I'm not sure why that switch would only
be for WARNS=6...  Basically I'm inclined to think that trying
to merge the 4800 different -W flags of gcc into just one
numerical value is pretty much a hopeless task anyway...