Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:34:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious reboots...

[I don't know if my reply was sent, but here I lost it so I send it
again...]

yes, i do have the splash pseudo-device in my kernel. This could be the
cause of the reboots. I'll try to recompile a kernel without it. The
problem is that it is very difficult to test as I don't know which
conditions to recreate to make the event happen again. We'll see, with
time.

There's another thing I remarked, though. It's that it is not a normal
reboot... normally, when the machine crashes (does it ever? :) or when I
reboot, I almost immediatly get the startupt BIOS screen, but when these
crashes occur, I hear the fan and all the box go down 'normally', but
there is a slight pause (say 2 secs.) before the machine restarts. Weird,
I tell ya...

What's this splash device anyways? I put it there to test it and never got
time to check out the doc or try it in any way... :(

Thanks for the tip!

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Nathan Ahlstrom wrote:

> Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca> wrote:
> > (should this be cc-ed to stable?)
> >
> > I have something strange here that I cannot reproduce. I'm not even sure
> > if it is os-related.
> >
> > Sometimes the machine simply reboots. X does not shut down, filesystems do
> > not dismount correctly, _but_ there is an entry in wtmp:
>
> Do you have the splash screen pseudo-device in your kernel?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Nathan
>
> --
> Nathan Ahlstrom                             FreeBSD: http://www.FreeBSD.org/
> nrahlstr@winternet.com                      PGP Key ID: 0x67BC9D19

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home