Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:40:25 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Rob <rob@robhulme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install fail on Dell PowerEdge 1550

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:53:45AM +0100, Rob wrote:
> Does anyone have *any* ideas?  I was getting this problem with 4.1 so
> I've spent a considerable amount of time getting hold of the 4.3 ISO,
> and getting it burnt :0(
>
> When the installation was complete I used the holographic shell to
> check out what had been installed, and everything seemed to be there
> OK...  it just won't boot.

This sounds like a drive geometry issue.  The install is using a
geometry that doesn't match what the BIOS is looking for.  So the
install works (because FreeBSD is driving the disks) but when you
boot the BIOS can't find the boot block.  Make sure when you are in
the "fdisk" portion of the install that the geometry looks right
(it's displayed at the top of the screen).  You need to make it be
the same as the BIOS thinks it is, which you can probably find in
the CMOS/BIOS setup screens.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com