Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:56:24 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: random problem with 8.3 from yesterday

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:34:36 +0700 Erich Dollansky
> <erich@alogreentechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>>I got a new thumb drive which was FAT formatted. I use this script to cha=
nge this:

>>!/bin/tcsh
>>#
>># This script format a thumb drive connected to USB as da0.
>>#
>>printf "You have to run this script as 'root' to succeed.\n"
>>printf "Warning this script will delete all your data from /dev/da0. Cont=
inue? > "
>>set Eingabe =3D $<
>>if ("$Eingabe" =3D=3D "y") then
>> =A0 printf "\nDeleting the device "
>> =A0 dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da0 bs=3D1k count=3D1
>> =A0 printf "\nWriting the BSD label "
>> =A0 bsdlabel -Bw da0 auto
>
> =A0 =A0 Hmmm...so no MBR and no GPT either? =A0Just the bare device? =A0I=
 guess
> I haven't tried that, so I don't know what that would do.

Call me a bit confused, but I thought -B did write an MBR. It always
has seemed to do so for me, at any rate. From man bsdlabel:
"Installing Bootstraps
     If the -B option is specified, bootstrap code will be read from the fi=
le
     /boot/boot and written to the disk."
Or am I not understanding something?
--=20