Date:      10 Feb 1998 19:37:13 -0600
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        "Ken Blundell" <ken@osicom.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virtuals

"Ken Blundell" <ken@osicom.net> writes:

> Hello,
>     I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2 as our main internet server and would like to
> setup some virtual hosts.
> I've gone through all of the documentation and FAQ's I could find but I am
> still having no luck with setting up a virtual.  I have the Internic
> registration completed and have added this to the /etc/rc.local file:
>
> ifconfig_ed2_alias0="inet 207.236.103.161 netmask 255.255.255.255"
>
> and I also added it to the /etc/hosts file:
>
> 207.236.103.161         tipoftheweb.com         tipoftheweb
>
> I've also created a /etc/namedb/db.tipoftheweb file and changed the
> httpd.conf file ro reflect the Virtual directive.
>
> If I type in http://www.tipoftheweb.com (the virtual i'm trying to add) it
> resolves to http://www.osicom.net : thats our primary!
>
> ANY help would be appreciated, if you could point me to some sort of
> documentation or web page that outline the steps involved, I would be
> forever in your debt!  :-)
> Sorry for being so forward but, the powers that be are breathing down my
> neck!

1. run ifconfig -a to see what the alias hath wrought.
2. I don't think you want those underscores if that is in rc.local
3. did you run that command (ifconfig ed2 ...) as well as put it in
   rc.local (or rebeoot?)
4. does it really say to netmask 255.255.255.255? (i'd guess
   255.255.255.0, but maybe I don't know ?)
5. are you aware that you can do virtual hosting just with your apache
   config file with the VirtualHost directive?  It works for modern
   browsers that support it, but not with some older browsers.
6. most importantly... what does host www.tipoftheweb.com tell you?
   If it is a cname to osicom.net, then you need to either do 5. or
   else make it a regular a record pointing to 207.236.103.161.

hope this helps.

--

Steve Farrell