Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:44:11 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jhs@jhs.muc.de
Subject:   Re: keeping lots of systems all the same...

No one I noticed yet mentioned
	ports/net/rsync
as an alternative to
	src/usr.bin/rdist
&
	ports/net/rdist6
for
	"keeping lots of systems all the same"
but as I too use rdist I can't tell more on rsync.

BTW I use rdist for maintaing
- site wide common trees in a /site/ tree of etc usr overlay stuff reached
  from real /etc & /usr trees via relative (no rooted) sym links
- my off site web directories
- my laptop
  PS make damn sure you always back up the right way, easily said,
  but easy to get wrong, especially with a cron driven rdist, that
  can zap your laptop or tower in the wrong direction. EG on return
  from a business trip a cron driven backup of tower to laptop is
  a disaster ;-)

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with its 4200 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !