Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:31:33 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache+PHP3 build problems

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Jim Durham wrote:
> Since I don't belong to any Apache or PHP mailing lists, I'm hoping tha=
> someone here may have played with building Apache+PHP3 (or PHP4) with
> IMAP support. Apparently, the FreeBSD package (3.3-RELEASE) doesn't hav=
> IMAP support, which I need for TWIG.
snip
> I then went to the PHP build directory and did a ./configure
> --with-apache=3D
> ../apache_1.3.12 --with-mysql --with-imap. This built libphp3.a and
> iinstalled
> it into the Apache build tree at src/modules/php3. I then tried adding
> "AddModule modules/php3/libphp3.a" to the end of the src/Configuration
> file in apache and doing a build in the Apache directory with
> make and make install.=20
>=20
> What I end up with is a bunch of unresolved references to "ap_(etc)",
> which,
> I believe, is in the APACI install stuff.
>=20
APACI ? are you using the apxs install or  compiling PHP into Apache?
Your php config line looks as if your compiling PHP into apache,
rather than as a DSO

> I also need mod_so in the Apache build so that I can add modules
>at  runtime (I use mod_roaming). I built just a basic Apache without
>the PHP stuff and this didn't work either. I uncommented the line in=20
> src/modules for mod_so and built Apache. When I do "http -l" it
>doesn't show up in the module list and trying to do "LoadModule"
>in the .conf script produces an error indicating that support for
>"LoadModule" is not installed. I also tried --enable=3Dso .=20
> The instructions on the php.net site and on the Apache site differ
> somewhat. I've tried it in every combination of the two and ended up
> with no joy.
>=20
> Anyone built this? Also, has anyone built these with SSL support also?
> Any info greatly appreciated.
>=20
> Thanks,
> --=20
> Jim Durham

I prefer to first configure Apache with the default layout, then edit
the src/Configuration file to what I want.  YMMV

You'll find mod_so is around line 430, uncomment that line to build
Apache with mod_so. You can comment/uncomment all the goodies within
that file after you first run 'configure,' but before you run 'make'.
You'll find PHP will have already added the nessasary lines to
install PHP there after you run make install in PHP.

As for IMAP, I've always used UW imap, I make the config line
"--with-imap=3D"  point directly to  imap-4.5/src/c-client  file when
compiling PHP. For some reason on my BSD and Slackware boxes the file
c-client is never found otherwise.

1) configure Apache with default layout
2) configure PHP
3) make and make install PHP
4) edit src/Configuration for apache
5) make and make install apache

Off the top of my head, that's how I do it. (I have done several in
the past weeks!)

DAve.

 --=20
"My center is giving way,=20
my right is pushed back;=20
situation excellent,=20
I am attacking." =0D=20
Ferdinand Foch at the Second Battle of the Marne (1918)