Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:02:45 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>, "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <mij@osdn.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: documentation issues generally

Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au> types:
> > The way to deal with that is, of course, to submit improved
> > documentation to them. They seem both responsive when it comes to
> > adding submissions from other people, and appreciative of receiving
> > them. They are more responsive and more appreciative if you mark the
> > submissions up properly, as that leaves less work for them to do. But
> > their markup language is easier than modern HTML, and lots of people
> > have learned that.
> I lurked in the docs list for while but eventually gave it away after
> finding that at least 99% of the postings were in some weird language.

In other words, you never even bothered trying. I've never read the
docs list. I don't want to read about writing docs, I want to provide
better docs to help people use FreeBSD, and cut down on the questions
on -questions. I believe I've succeeded in doing that.

> > Have you tried submitting something in that format? If not, what did
> > you base this conclusion on? As indicated above, my experience
> > submitting things has been pretty good.
> I wasn't able to figure out anything about the spoken language (terminology)
> used by the docs folk, let alone the programming language. That stuff is so
> daunting that I'm not surprised that the operators of the various
> "user-friendly"
> sites haven't succeeded in penetrating the docs inner circle.

I haven't "penetrated the docs inner circle". After all, if you want
to get something done, you get a lot farther *doing* it than talking
about it. See the handbook entry about bikesheds at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/misc.html#isc.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING >.

> Trying to use the man pages to learn FreeBSD is like trying to
> use Websters to learn english. I'd expect the results to be mind
> numbing in either case.
> Exactly .... however that doesn't stop the experts yelling "RTFM" at people

If the person appears to have a clue but doesn't seem to have read the
appropriate manual, RTF *which* M is a perfectly valid response. If
they don't have the clue, the RTFF or RTFH is more appropriate. If the
answers don't exist there, I write them. Then I PR them, so that I can
shout RTF[MFH] at people who haven't.

> > The bottom line is that FreeBSD is a an open source volunteer
> > project. "Volunteer" means that nothing gets done unless someone steps
> > up to do it. "Open Source" means anyone who wants to has the
> > information they need to do that. If you think something in FreeBSD
> > sucks, you can fix it, so just do it.
> I have ample experience with volunteer organizations  .... Apana is such a
> beast :)
> Its effectively a non-profit / hands on internet training & access provider
> with
> some 1000 members across OZ. Something like 50 are on one or more of the
> regional or national management committees and they are the only ones who
> do anything .... the bulk of the 200 odd permanent & 700 odd dialup members
> just want a cheap ISP that never breaks (at least the FreeBSD systems keep
> going where the linux / AppleMac / Windows ones don't)

So when something about Apana sucked, did you fix the problem, or just
talk about fixing it?

	<mike