Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:31:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

Satoshi Asami stands accused of saying:
> At various points of the startup, all the scripts with sequence number
> <s> will be called from system rc files.  They will be sorted in shell
> globbing order (so the <num> comes in here, if we have inter-
> dependencies among ports).

This won't work very well, unfortunately.  You'd have to give every
port in this category a unique and permanent sequence number, starting
with a huge inter-number spacing to allow for insertions, or some
variation on this idea.

If you can handle keeping a list of 'what goes before/what goes after'
for each port, then a sequentially arranged list in a control file
could be realistically managed, with entries inserted and deleted as
packages come and go.

> Then the job of pkg_add is just to add this file, and pkg_delete to
> just delete this file.  The porter's job is to write this script so
> that the program will be started up with reasonable arguments, and
> check other ports to see if there are any dependencies.

This makes automation easier, but increases (substantially) the pain
for work-by-hand.  I'm lukewarm, I suspect other will Not Like It Very
Much At All 8)

> Can't get any simpler than this. :)

The current state of the art is pretty simple, just messy.

The real question here I guess is whether there is sufficient support for
an approach favourable to automated interaction.  Are we ready for a
'never edit the files, just use the editing tools' approach a 'la Solaris,
or do we want a middle ground solution?

> Satoshi

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[