Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 02:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Franz Kafka <commie@leland.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing ports

Hi

I am running RedHat linux, and i was dumb enought to download their new
rembrandt version, and of course it didn't come with perl or colorls
or whois or anythign important. so i tried to install a FreeBSD version of
that software, but wehn i untarred the file i just got a directory copy of
your ftp site, and when i ran the makefile file i kept getting errors.
Of course, i am a very inexperienced user and might have been doing
something wrong, so could you please tell me how to install your port
programs (if it is possible at all to install them on a machine running
RedHat)

I also tried reloading FreeBSD on my machine throught ftp, but for some
reason when it got the part "initializing network adapter ep0" (i have
3c509 3com etherlink III card) it would just hang and after about 10
minutes i jsut gave up.  It would do so repetitevily, that's why i still
have RedHat instead of FreeBSD

So if you could, please tell me how to install your patches on a RedHat
machine, if possible

thank you very much

toli

                                             ~~~
**************************                   | |
* _                 _    *  ____________\   -   -
* |he |)ad /|ussian |oli *  ____________ /  |ABS|
*                        *              /   |OLU|
                                            -----
...You take one down, you pass it around...

Anatoliy "Toli" Kuznets		Storey House
P.O. Box 12737			Room 310
Stanford, CA 94309		(415) 497-5346
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~commie/