Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:09:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smraj@hotmail.com (malarraj malarraj)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem in connecting a machine in network

>      we are having one serious problem when connecting FreeBSD machine
> in an network. We are having IBM Aptiva model 2144-s20 with Microdyne
> ethernet card (I/O address 0x300 & IRQ 5) installed in it. We are having
> Sun server connected in network. We are trying to connect this IBM
> Aptiva with Sun machine.There is no IRQ or I/O conflict. We have checked
> with boot -c option. But we are getting "ifconfig (SIOCGIFFLAGS)" : no
> such interface" while booting. We don't  know how to solve this problem.

Type:

	dmesg | grep -i ether

If you have an Ethernet card recognized by one of the drivers, you will
get back something like:

vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
de0 <Digital DC21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 11 on pci0:6
de0: DC21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3 Ethernet address 00:80:48:e8:1b:b1
^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^ this will be different depending on your ethernet interface

Type:

	ifconfig -a

This should list all the configured ethernet interfaces in your
machine, for example:

vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
lp0: flags=810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
de0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 198.0.250.211 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 198.0.250.255
tun0: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------

lp0 = parallel port (ignore)
tun0 = tunnel device (ignore)
sl0 = SLIP device (ignore)

lo0 = loopback (important)
de0 = ethernet card driver from dmesg (important)

Look in /etc/sysconfig; you will see a section dimilar to this:

vvv---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Set to the list of network devices on this host.  You must have an
# ifconfig_${network_interface} line for each interface listed here.
# for example:
#
#	network_interfaces="ed0 sl0 lo0"
#	ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
#	ifconfig_sl0="inet 10.0.1.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
#
network_interfaces="de0 lo0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_de0="inet 198.0.250.211 netmask 0xffffff00"
^^^---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely, your "network_interfaces" line is incorrect, and does not
have the right interface name on it.

If you do not have an ethernet device in dmesg, then either there is not
a driver for your card, or (more likely) your card is not configured
correctly.

If the card is there, and you list the full dmesg instead of grepping
it, you may find that your card has an interrupt or address range
conflict with some other card, and isn't being probed.  You should
reconfigure the card (change jumpers, or run a setup program) and
then try again.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org