Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:54:26 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharma-home.net>
Subject:   Re: bsd.rpm.mk ?

Marian Hettwer wrote:
> well, why using RPM for binary packaging ?!
> If to replace the pkg_* featureset of BSD then please replace it with
> apt_* from those Debian guys.

apt isn't a packaging format.  You're thinking of dpkg.  apt is an
additional layer that maintains databases of available packages,
download locations, dependencies etc.

I imagine apt could be set up to work with freebsd's binary packages,
or possibly even source-based ports stored as .tgz files on multiple
servers rather than in a single ports tree.  That would be interesting.

- Rahul