Date:      09 Sep 1997 15:24:59 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:

> > Yes it works, but there are a few features it would be nice to have
> > before it's unleashed on the world.  Like a way to explicitly bring up
> > the link when running in auto mode.
>
> % ping remotehost
>
> works really well.

Unless it takes so long to connect that the queue for outgoing packets
fills up.  Not something that happens in just two or three tries, but
it it goes much beyond that....

> Try the ping trick.  It works.  Also, PPP's auto mode is as good as any
> other on-demand product I've ever used.  The time-out problem is a
> function of TCP/IP, not of PPP since it can't do anything with packets
> when the link is down, and it's doing everything it can to get the
> connection up, so if the first couple of attempts fail, the TCP/IP
> protocol will give up.

It's not bad as on-demand dialers go, but there are times when
start-dialing-and-let-me-know-when-you've-connected is more what's
called for.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.