Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:58:05 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Tim Gustafson <tim@netspaces.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about Adaptec AAA-131U RAID Controller

At 07:49 PM 11/16/99 , Tim Gustafson wrote:
>Is the DPT card no good?  I guess that's my main concern.  I never heard of
>DPT until I checked the hardware list.  Out of curiosity, do you know why
>FreeBSD is not choosing to support the Adaptec card?  I consider Adaptec to
>be somewhat of a defacto standard when it comes to SCSI/RAID controllers,
>and I can't imagine why it wasn't one the first ones supported.

No idea about the quality of the DPT cards.  I have heard good things about
the hardware, but its the quality of drivers that ultimately must also be
considered.  As for the Adaptec, its not a matter of wanting to support it
or not, its a matter of does Adaptec release programming information about
the workings of the controller to the developer community so that they can
then write a driver for it.  My understanding is that Adaptec has chosen
not to do this, or at least not to do it in a way that would conform with
BSD licensing requirements.

	---Mike