Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:06:31 +0600
From:      "Aftab Jahan Subedar" <jahan@scientist.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup to 7.0 from 5.5?

On 10/22/08, Chris Pratt <eagletree@hughes.net> wrote:

> How risky is it to jump directly to 7.0 on a 5.5 system?
> Upgrade would be by cvsup. I expect mergemaster
> issues anyway but this system is relatively vanilla in
> it's configuration. It's duty is just rsyncing other servers.
> The kernel is GENERIC minus drivers plus ipfw and there are
> no kldloads. Can this jump be made? I was hoping to avoid
> having to make two major release jumps by doing only one.
>
> Thanks

Not really a bed of roses.
Its a thorny road. You will stumble with packages then gcc version then
make.conf then cvsup itself.

Cannot really remember exact thorny issues but I can tell that it is not
straight path. Rather Install 7.0 directly then migrate the data.

--
Aftab Jahan Subedar
CEO/Software Engineer