Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:22:42 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Eric Hake <eric@clean.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATd questions

On 21 Jul 98, at 0:13, Eric Hake wrote:

> At any rate -- I have checked a few of my O'Reilly books, and they say
> that nat has it's advantages and disadvantages as well... ("Managing IP
> Networks with Cisco Routers", pages 237-239) -- most notably a speed hit.

What did they say the speed hit was?  I suspect it is not significant.
That said, I don't know what I'm talking about.

> I am wondering if the nat dameon in FreeBSD is as capable as some
> commercial solutions my upstream is favoring?  Will it be more trouble
> than it's worth?  Will it crap out on me with my network?  How reliable is
> it?

With my limited knowledge of FreeBSD, and from seeing the postings on this
mailing list, I'd say that natd is very stable.  I've been running it for
my subnet for about 6 weeks now.  Very stable.  More stable than my ISP in
fact.  I'm willing to bet that what you can implement for free with
FreeBSD will be as good as [if not more stable than] any commercial
solution you can get upstream.  From what I've been reading of natd and
FreeBSD, your site is exactly what this solution was designed for.

Hopefully you'll hear from someone with more experience and with a bigger
subnet than I have.

I qualify what I'm saying by adding that I'm an enthusiastic and very
biased newbie to UNIX/FreeBSD but confident in the knowledge that, if
necessary, I will be corrected by others on this mailing list.

Good luck.  And please let us know your decision and the results.
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited