Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2012 22:28:52 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 59359513 - Dawn Gray

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any comments on the following:
>
> - is it a good FreeBSD development laptop?
> - is wireless supported by FreeBSD?
> - what about graphics / X ?
> - suspend/resume?
>
> I'm looking to buy this in the next day or two so quick replies appreciat=
ed. :)

> IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 59359513 - Dawn Gray
> Part number: 59359513
>
> =E2=80=A2 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 6MB)
> =E2=80=A2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB
> =E2=80=A2 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
> =E2=80=A2 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080
> =E2=80=A2 Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
> =E2=80=A2 1TB 5400 rpm
> =E2=80=A2 Blu-ray/DVD-RW
> =E2=80=A2 6 Cell Li-Polymer
> =E2=80=A2 Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN
> =E2=80=A2 Bluetooth Version 4.0
> =E2=80=A2 Integrated HD Camera
> =E2=80=A2 HDMI (Out)

Is that CPU and IvyBridge? If so, thee have been some report of X issues.

The NVidia is useless at this time. They only provide support for
Windows and have officially stated that there will be no support for
Linux or anything other than Windows, though some folks are working on
support.

Too bad it does not have a three-button mouse like the T-series, but
it should work OK.

The wireless should be fine. It's what I use and it's had very few
problems, none serious.

The camera on my T520 is not supported, so I would be dubious of it.
HDMI should work.

1920x1080!!! I'm drooling a bit.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer