Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:37:17 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting VMWare to interchange files with host?

Using VMWare 2.x port on 4.7-PRERELEASE.

How best to interchange files between the VMWare machine (running
Win9x) and the BSD host?

I can create/mount an MSDOS filesystem via 'vnconfig' on FreeBSD,
but I can't get VMWare to accept it as valid (keeps saying 'not a
recognised disk type').

I can create a VMWare Plain Disk, but I can't seem to mount that
under FreeBSD...

Networking (bridged mode via 'vmnet1') works fine, but I can't ping
the BSD host from the guest OS, or vice-versa, so I can't use (e.g.)
Samba to share files from the BSD host to the Win guest.

I've got a Flash Disk, but VMWare 2.x doesn't support PC card
devices...

Schlepping files off to a network-addressable host and copying them
back to the BSD host will work - except when I'm actually mobile
and wish to import on an airplane.

Seems to me that the only thing I haven't tried is dedicating a
partition to MS-DOS and letting VMWare access that directly.

If I used host-only networking mode, would I be able to get
connectivity that way? Should I use host-only mode and get the BSD
host to NAT requests out onto the external network that way?

Is this all correct? Am I missing something? Is there a resource
anywhere with some good tips for doing this kind of thing/setting
up VMWare with FreeBSD?

It works very well, but I'd really like to be able to import/export
files, for obvious reasons. I did the obvious searches (several
times), but couldn't seem to find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

AS