Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:00:44 -0400
From:      Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Giulio Ferro <auryn@zirakzigil.org>, Nate Eldredge <nate@thatsmathematics.com>
Subject:   Re: ZFS group ownership

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:36:57PM +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> Which of the following would then be the best option (also taking POLA
> into account):
>  * leave things are they are
>  * make ZFS under FreeBSD behave the way open(2) describes
>  * have a new ZFS property govern the behavior and default to one of the above

Btw, on Linux all the common filesystem support the SysV behaviour
by default but have a mount option bsdgroups/grpid that turns on the BSD
hebaviour.  I would recommend you do the same just with reversed signs
on FreeBSD.  ??Having different default behaviour for different
filesystems on a single OS is generally a bad idea.