Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 03:11:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Tri Sakti Soebagyono <sakti@idola.net.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, sakti@idola.net.id
Subject:   Re: Delete User

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Tri Sakti Soebagyono wrote:

> 1. What is a command to delete user ?

There is none, though there are several scripts bouncing around that do it.

> 2. I delete user with manual step :
> 	a. remove user property from /etc/passwd
> 	b. remove user's homdir
>    why never success ?, I mean the user name is removed from /etc/passwd but they still success to login ?

Because you should never edit /etc/passwd directly.  Use vipw instead.
You can set root's EDITOR environment variable to change the editor that
vipw invokes.  Also, don't forget to remove the user's mail spool file
(/var/mail/username).

> -sakti-

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.