Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:18:46 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: three questions regarding hard drives...

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:06:56 -0500
> From: Michael E Mercer <mmercer@nc.rr.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking of buying an 80 G HD to replace the two 8 G HDs that
> I am using for Freebsd.
>
> First question: Is 80 too big for FreeBSD? Should I use a smaller HD? What is
> the maximum
> size for a HD that FreeBSD can use? OK OK, three questions in one, but anyone
> that has taken
> a physics test should be used to this. :P

I'm not sure the max, but 80 GB is fine. It's more expensive to have
a larger disk of equal performance, but if you think you can use a
reasonable portion of 80 GB in the next couple of years, no reason not
to go for it. Just be aware of performance differences between
drives. Cache size, seek speed, and rotational speed all can have a
significant impact. On servers SCSI can make a significant difference
but ATA is fine for most workstation applications.

> Second question: What is your recommendation for partitioning? I know this is
> entirely
> a personal opinion, however maybe things have changed since I last setup my
> current system.

No comment. Everyone has an opinion on this, but there is no right or
wrong. If you have lots of space, make /var and root much larger. I
tend to prefer fewer partitions (/, /var, and /usr), but good
arguments can be made for other ways.

> Third question: How do I migrate all the data from my two Hard
> Drives to the one? I am sure I could find this information on the
> web, but thought I would take a chance and ask anyway.

dump 0 piped into restore. This is how I do it. Adjust the arguments
to match how your disk is sliced and partitioned. You may want other
arguments for the newfs or use sysinstall to do that.

newfs /dev/ad2s1a
mount /dev/ad2s1a /mnt
cd /mnt
dump -0auf - / | restore -rf -