Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:54:09 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which PPro board?

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Robert Schien wrote:

> But what motherboard should I buy? Asus? Tyan?
> Does anyone know something about Chaintech?

	Or: any opinions on Intel Providence 2xPPro board?

> Is it correct that on non-ASUS boards I need a SCSI host
> adapter with BIOS if I want to boot from the SCSI drive?

	Not always. Almost all PCI MBs I've seen in
	last 2 years which are equipped with Award BIOS --
	they all had NCR BIOS embedded.  But -- YMMV.

	Intel MBs do not have NCR BIOS, for example, and their
	BIOS is from Phoenix, AFAIK.

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin

nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE