Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:34:42 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        loveproof@supereva.it (diego damo)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Excuses and help for internal US Robotics Sportster.

From the keyboard of diego damo:

> The documentations says to configure the isdnd configuration file,
> placed in /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc. I've tried to do it but the results has
> been a kernel panic (with obvious reboot) when i try to
> launch the daemon.

If this is the case, there is something going really wrong. I have not
seen a kernel panic when starting isdnd for a long time now, either your
configuration file triggers a bad bug or you've messed up your source
tree quite a bit.

> Here's the questions :
>
> 1) There is a way to use the pppd (with chat or any other program)
> without setupping the ISDND daemon ?

No. The isdnd is the central workhouse of i4b and required in every case.

> 2) If not,could someone send me a "already setup" isdnd.rc example file

There are samples of working setups from me in the examples as well as
in the handbook.

> 3) What is the device name for the internal TA ?

It does not appear in the userland and as such it has no device name.

> i even don't understand which is....if i4b or isp0....dunno,

Have you really read the handbook ? I really tried to explain what is
happening there, i even draw those little pictures in long nights!

If i were you, at the very first i would setup a _minimal_ isdnd.rc from
the examples to make a telephone answering system work. This is the
simplest possible setup. You should be able to call with an ordinary phone
and hear the messages. If you get panics or so, the only thing i can
recommend is to get your source tree right or reinstall the whole OS
from scratch.

At the point the answering machine is running, you should have gotten the
picture and then it is time to extend the isdnd.rc configuration step
by step.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77