Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:49:48 -0500
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can TCP changes be put in RELENG_4?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:15:30PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > and ordinary user will find FreeBSD is slower, could we let user to
> > select which kernel to install at installing time?
>
> It's a possibility that I've considered, given that sysinstall
> had a hard time supporting installing FreeBSD from a single CDROM
> image to support both developers and the end product with a single
> "golden" system image.
>
> The problem with doing this is that it sort of grates against the
> idea of a "GENERIC" entirely.

GENERIC is just fine the way it is.  I have always considered it
a way to get everything installed and a nice saftey net.

The issue is not that GENERIC performs poorly, the issue is that
the kernel that remains on the box performs poorly.  I've been
considering this issue for a quite some time.

There needs to be an >automatic< way to help the new user get a
better kernel on his box.  Matt Dillon provided a man page, now
what's needed is a program (call it autotune) that looks at the
machine and, possibly after asking the user some questions about
proposed machine use, builds OPTIMIZED and generates changes for
system files (e.g. adding softupdates to /etc/fstab).

A scaled back version of autotune would also run daily out of cron
to check system resources (e.g. mbuf utilization), parse syslogs
and suggest a kernel reconfig/rebuild as needed.

Given a working, easy to update skeleton program, I suspect that
convincing the person who most understands a given subsystem to write
optimization rules would not be difficult.

/\/\ \/\/