Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 17:20:46 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?]

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 13:19:00 -0700
Colin Barnabas articulated:

>History show us that _everything_ will eventually run *nix.

Perhaps, but *nix will not run everything.

>Take a look at the Sony PS3 debacle. After Sony yanked support for
>installing other OS's, the community ripped apart their
>hypervisor in a matter of months. If these boot keys do gain any
>momentum, sooner than later the community with poke holes in the
>system.

Which, depending on how the end user or his flunky "poke holes" in the
system, may allow vendors to disallow warranty claims.

The question that I have not seen answered in this thread is what
FreeBSD intents to do. From what I have seen, most FreeBSD users do not
use the latest versions of most hardware, so it may be a while before
its user base is even effected.

--
Jerry ♔