Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 00:55:26 -0000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Pedro A M Vazquez" <vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dialin Setup

Thanks for the response Pedro :)

> I'm using user-ppp for both dial-ou/dial-in, for the later I've
> installed mgetty  and added

Ahhhhh ..... so at least its possible to stop mgetty spewing out millions
of messages like mine did til I disabled it ..... maybe its like I figured
and it just wants to know its got a modem to keep it company.
I've got a permanent modem connection so I use ppp -ddial, but that
shouldn't be a problem

Looks like much of the following bit was something you wrote specially
as I've never seen anything like most of it in my system.

It  appears you have made up a new file "ppp-pap-dialup"
& edited ppp.conf a bit, which raises a few questions

(1) Does your ISP use PAP ??

(2) Is it possible to have manual login for ISP, but PAP for clients ??

(3) Are the references to proxy, proxyall, nbns & ppp-secrets
      only for client logins ??

(4) Why no references to modems other than the one on cuaa0 ??

> /AutoPPP/       -       -       /etc/ppp/ppp-pap-dialup
>
> to login config, where ppp-pap-dialup is
>
> #!/bin/sh
> TTY=`tty`
> IDENT=`basename $TTY`
> logger $TTY
> logger $IDENT
> exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct $IDENT
>

> my ppp.conf has
>
> default:
>  set device /dev/cuaa0
>   enable proxy
>   enable proxyall
>   enable pap
>   enable dns
>   accept pap
>   accept dns
>   set log Phase Chat Connect TUN
>   set timeout 300
>   set dns 143.106.51.37 143.106.13.6
>   set nbns 143.106.51.9 143.106.51.10
>
> cuaa0:
>   set ifaddr 143.106.51.1 143.106.51.254 255.255.255.255
>

> and ppp.secret holds the login/password pair

> > I've been given some stuff called PPP-KIT that apparently was prepared
by
>>a guy "danny@freebsd.org" who appears to come from Melbourne Australia
>>thats supposed to help with setting this stuff up so it works without the
user
> > having to be an expert (see the ReadMe file from the PPP-KIT below).
Since