Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:26:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Damian Boune <DBoune@co.napa.ca.us>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, cjclark@home.com, Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible...

On Tuesday, 13 July 1999 at 14:02:42 -0400, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Doug wrote,

I'd still like to understand the reasoning.  All you're buying here is
trouble with space management.

>>> My guess would be, simply because the install is not really designed
>>> to work that way.

Well, yes, but what's the issue?  sysinstall doesn't do anything with
/home.

>>> Since people are making recomendations, I'll toss in another
>>> $0.02. Even though the setup below will work, I would personally mount
>>> the home partition at /home and make /usr/home a symbolic link to
>>> /home. That way, the mounting of the home partition does not depend on
>>> /usr

Agreed, assuming you need a /usr/home at all; I'd just stick with
/home.

>> 	It's usually done the other way around for a couple reasons.
>> Mostly because you don't want regular (untrusted) users to have access to
>> the / partition. root's home directory is mounted there, everyone else is
>> on /usr. On systems that sell shell access it's common to have a
>> completely seperate file system for user home directories.

I think you're confusing the purpose of mounting here.  There is no
difference in access when crossing a mount point (to a different file
system) and just traversing a directory.  In other words, if you have
access to, say, /home/fred, it doesn't matter whether it's on the root
file system, mounted on the root file system, or mounted on a file
system mounted on the root file system.  Your access to the (other)
directories on the root file system is determined only by their
permissions.  That's even the case in a chroot environment.

>> 	If you don't allow untrusted users on your system, you don't need
>> to worry about that precaution, however you may still run into issues of
>> disk space.
>
> Huh? Like you mentioned, we _do_ have a separate filesystem for user
> home directories (the text with the partiton layout and their
> positions in the directory tree was in my original mail, but you
> snipped it here).

Correct, those are the issues of disk space.  If you divide a slice
into two partitions and create file systems on each of them, you are
much less flexible than having just a single partition/file system on
it.  You're bound to run out of space on one before running out on the
other.  Admittedly, in this case /usr and /home are on different
disks, so that's OK, but I can't see any good reason for separate /tmp
and /root file systems, and I'd still argue against /var as a separate
file system in this scenario.

Greg