Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:26:12 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        white@prokhorenko.us
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Core 2 Duo and FreeBSD

Olexandr Prokhorenko wrote:
> Hello guys,

Oh, now you're discriminating! ;-)

> I¹m considering getting a new Core 2 Duo (Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU
> 2.13GHz) server to run under FreeBSD.  I briefly searched the Internet and
> found some concerns and trouble reports about FreeBSD and Core 2 Duo
> servers.

Do you have a URL for me of those reports? Are they specific to the CPU?
That would surprise me alot. :)
Actually i think Core 2 Duo will run just fine. But like with all new
hardware going in-production, you should first conduct extensive
testing. Such as: memory and CPU stresstests (prime cpu
stresstests/memtest86) and actual tests with the version of FreeBSD
you're going to run (i take it you'll want to run AMD64?).

> I really need to use this server for high load production use and
> it¹s not acceptable for me to have the server running into any kind of
> problems, crashes, or whatever else.  As an alternative to Core 2 Duo, I was
> thinking about Intel® Pentium® D 945 Dual Core 3.4GHz, but I was told that
> it has significantly less power.

In fact, it uses significantly more power; but delivers significantly
less processing power. If you were to consider Pentium D you really
should be looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 instead, since they outbeat
Pentium D in just about every way. But with Core 2 Duo it's different;
they perform sometimes up to two times better than the Pentium D and
uses significantly less power. Although the idle usage is still twice
that of comparable Athlon 64 X2 processors. By the way i would recommand
the E6600 version instead, if you require alot of processing power. They
also have twice as many cache.

- Veronica