Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 20:02:20 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Wietse Venema <wietse@porcupine.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need FreeBSD 4.0 removable SCSI support

Wietse Venema wrote:

> I am stuck on FreeBSD 2.2.8 because I need support for removable
> SCSI controllers, which is absent in FreeBSD 3.x. I had set my
> hopes on FreeBSD 4.0 but am running into a problem.
>
> Hardware is ThinkPad 600 and Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460B.  Works like
> a champ with FreeBSD 2.2.8.  Not so with FreeBSD 4.0. Complete
> dmesg output is attached at the end of this mail.

I have been using that very same SlimSCSI without a problem. I have one
suggestion:

> pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
> pcic0: management irq 10

IRQ for pcic is only necessary when you insert and remove cards, and,
then, only if you do not want to run the detachment/attachment commands
by hand. You might, then, change the pcic0 to polling by adding the
following line to your /boot/loader.conf (create one if needed):

machdep.pccard.pcic_irq="0"

This will free irq 10 for other use. You then change pccard.conf
accordingly, to give that irq preference.

> sio4 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 9 slot 1 on pccard1
                           ^^^^^
> sio4: type 16550A
> sio4: unloaded
> pccard: card removed, slot 1
> pccard: card inserted, slot 1
> aic1: <Adaptec 6260/6360 SCSI controller> at port 0x340-0x35f irq 9 slot 1 on pc
                                                                ^^^^^
> card1
> aic1: aic6360, dma, disconnection, parity check

These are not sharable.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com