Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:22:23 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: libxmms.so troubles with building mplayer.

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:08:17PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
=20
> 	For reasons I haven't sorted out, player is looking for
> 	/usr/local/lib/libxmms.so, while the library xmms.so[.4]
> 	is in the X11R6 tree.  So mplayer quits.  When I turn off
> 	WITH_XMMS, mplayer dies elsewhere.

Hmmm... It works fine for me, and finds the right libxmms.so:

    % ldd /usr/local/bin/mplayer | grep -i xmms
            libxmms.so.4 =3D> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so.4 (0x2847e000)

I think that mplayer should be able to find libxmms.so in
/usr/X11R6/lib without having to use any special linker flags. The
fact that it can't suggests that either when you're compiling mplayer
you are somehow overriding the linker flags in a counter-productive
way, or that the ld-elf.so dynamic loader configuration is screwed up.

Do you have anything in your environment that could affect either the
compilation stage -- eg. LDFLAGS, CFLAGS, CC or any environment
variables that could affect the dynamic loader -- eg LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
LD_PRELOAD (see rtld(1) for more)?  Have you installed the libmap.conf
patch from http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/libmap_4stable.diff , as
the www/linuxpluginwrapper port needs you to do under 4.x?  If so,
what's the contents of your /etc/libmap.conf?

What do you get from running 'ldconfig -r' -- particularly the second
line or so where it shows what directories it will search for shared
libraries?  Should be something like:

    % ldconfig -r | head -2
    /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints:
            search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/us=
r/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/mysql:/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg:/usr/local/lib/p=
th:/usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix

and it should have a line for libxmms something like this:

            160:-lxmms.4 =3D> /usr/X11R6/lib/libxmms.so.4

(The number 160 will be different on your system: it just means that
information about libxmms.so.4 is stored in element 160 of an array
internal to ld-elf.so)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20