Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 06:12:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre LeClaire <leclaire@venus.net>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@holly.colostate.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reveal sound card

> I've got a reveal soundblaster pro that I'm trying to get working.
> I rebuilt the kernel with controller snd0, device sb0 ..., and
> when the system boots it looks like it identifies it ok. But when
> I run sound apps - nothing. I've also re MAKEDEV /dev/snd0. There
> was scarse info in the mail archives, but I get the impression that
> this sound card needs to be initialized. Is this what I need to do
> (how?), or am I missing something else? No help from reveal since
> they're history.

I used to have a reveal sound card and the cdrom interface wouldn't work
with FreeBSD because it had to be initialized with a dos driver before
the system would recognize it. The way I finally got it running was to
make a dos boot floppy with the driver in config.sys, then booting into
FreeBSD with fbsdboot.exe in autoexec.bat - kind of a pain, but it worked.
I wonder if your problem is similar.

Andre