Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:39:37 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SONY SMO-C501-09 not recognized under CAM

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Well, to avoid having to send the patches to too many more people,
> I've put them here:

> http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~ken/camcontrol.diffs.031499

(OK, will have to test this later on.)

> Right, media should not be required.  What we *do* require is that
> the device tell us in some intelligible way that there is no media
> in it.

Hmm, what we'd probably need here is a document describing the SCSI
CCS.  See my below.

> Hmm.  The CAM status 0x4b means that the command timed out, and that
> the queue for that device was frozen.  I don't know why it hung your
> system.

Weird.  Is there any way to further debug this.

> Okay, let me see if I've got this straight:
>
> - It works with media in the drive and spinning.

Yep.

> - If there is no media in the drive, it doesn't work.  What happens
>   in this case?

I didn't test myself, but it probably won't attach.  Here's the result
i get from an attempted `start' command without a medium:

uriah # camcontrol tur -v -u 2
Unit is not ready
(pass4:ncr1:0:3:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
(pass4:ncr1:0:3:0): NOT READY asc:a,0
(pass4:ncr1:0:3:0): Error log overflow

Right now that i see it, i can remember i've seen the `Error log
overflow' before.

> - If there is media in the drive that isn't spinning, and you've got
>   the quirk entry in scsi_all.c, the spinup command may be timing
>   out.

Yep, although camcontrol's spinup command would work later.

> How long does the start unit command take for that drive?

A few seconds, about 5 to 10 if the medium is (optically) clean.  In
the case of an unclean medium, it might take up to one minute
approximately, until the drive will eject the medium.

>  The timeout for the start unit command in the error recovery code
> is 50 seconds.  (The start unit is done in cam_periph.c)

That should suffice.  Btw., IIRC the medium did _not_ spin up in the
case where it hung the bus, so the START STOP UNIT command apparently
didn't make it to the drive.

--
cheers, J"org